Home > Education > Engagement rings > Metals

Metal Types | Engagement Ring Education | JamesAllen.com

Choosing the right metal for an engagement ring is a crucial part of the ring-design process. Once you know a bit about the basics of ring metals, doing the research and deciding on a metal is a rewarding and simple process. Deciding between white gold, yellow gold, or platinum is as much as matter of personal preference as it is of budget.People who prefer silver jewelry, for example, will likely prefer white gold or platinum engagement rings and wedding rings because their color more closely resembles silver or white. Gold not only comes in different colors (yellow, white, rose), but also in different grades of purity measured in karat weight (k or kt) —not to be confused with the unit of weight for diamonds, expressed as carats or carat weight (ct or cttw).18K gold contains 75% gold—the remaining 25% is an alloy—and 14K gold contains 58.3% gold(in the case of 18K white gold, the alloy is what gives the gold its silver/white color). Gold is highly desirable because it does not tarnish, rust or corrode. It is a strong metal, which can still be sculpted into various shapes and is typically mixed with other metals in fine jewelry production to give it more strength and resilience. Platinum is much rarer and more durable than gold, but notably more expensive. Before you make a final decision, it is worth weighing the pros and cons of the various types of engagement ring metals.

Yellow Gold Engagement Rings

Yellow Gold Engagement Rings

Yellow gold is the most common of the golds, partly because gold is yellow in its naturally occurring state. The yellow gold used in fine jewelry is typically alloyed with silver and copper; its color depends on the amount of pure gold in the alloy. The advantages of gold are that is does not corrode, tarnish or rust, so it can be counted on to provide lasting beauty.

Learn More
White Gold Engagement Rings

White Gold Engagement Rings

White gold is an incredibly beautiful and popular choice for engagement ring settings, which is quickly becoming the number one choice in engagement ring metals. White gold has the overall look of platinum, but is notably less expensive.

Learn More
Platinum Engagement Rings

Platinum Engagement Rings

Platinum is a rare and valuable metal that is only found in limited quantities in a few, select regions of the world. The annual worldwide production of platinum is approximately 160 tons, compared to 1,500 tons of gold. This is why platinum is more expensive than the other precious metals.

Learn More
Rose Gold Engagement Rings

Rose Gold Engagement Rings

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy commonly used for specialized jewelry and coveted for its warm, reddish color. Rose gold is also known as red gold and pink gold, and sometimes as Russian gold, as a result of its popularity in Russia in the early 19th century. The difference between red, rose and pink gold is their copper content.

Learn More
14kt Gold Engagement Rings

14kt Gold Engagement Rings

14 karat gold is one of the most popular choices for engagement and wedding rings today. 14kt gold contains 58.3% gold—14 parts gold and 10 parts of an additional metal or combination of metals such as nickel, silver, or copper. 14kt has the advantage of strength and hardness.

Learn More
18kt Gold Engagement Rings

18kt Gold Engagement Rings

18 karat gold is among the most beautiful and popular of metal choices for engagement rings and wedding rings today. 18kt gold is composed of 75% gold— 18 parts gold and 6 parts of an additional metal or combination of metals such as copper, zinc, cobalt, nickel, silver, or palladium.

Learn More

SEE ALSO

What is Your Ring Size?

Find your ring size online in just a few steps or request a ring sizer.

Find Ring Size

Ring Manufacturing

Learn all about creating the perfect engagement and wedding ring.

Learn More
© 2014 James Allen - All Rights Reserved.